Wednesday, May 5, 2010

OH DEUS, Who art Thou?

Disclaimer: The following is not intended to hurt the sentiments of anyone and I sincerely apologise if I even accidentally offend anyone.

Morality and righteousness are, in my opinion, very flexible, fluid concepts. They keep changing and have, over the course of man's history, shuttled from one extreme to another. The best example I can perhaps give is the concept of religion. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely believe in God but I also believe, and I am willing to consider, perhaps wrongfully, that the while the concept of religion is man made, so is the human embodiment of the concept of God  as well. God was represented by symbols of nature when man was a species that communicated in grunts and wore just enough to appear modest.

Much later, the Greeks both feared and worshipped their own sets of Gods which were perhaps widely accepted simply because, at some point in time in man’s history, Greece was the centre of the world. Later came the Roman Gods which again gained widespread recognition and popularity due to the fact that the Earth spins on its axis and Rome became the centre of the world, then came the rise of Christianity and the older man made concepts of God and the variations were forsaken. I am not, for a moment, saying that our modern day interpretation and concept of the Almighty is incorrect, nor do I seek to question the historical roots, evolution and embodiment of the concept but I am simply emphasising that man is at the centre of this all. While this is by no means a religious treatise, the object of the above is to say that man is the creator of this world that we now inhabit with all its complexities and dilemmas, our social mores, our stigmas, our love, our hatred, all of it and so much more, has been spawned by man.  The best illustration of man having completely forsaken his own concepts of Gods as the ‘Ancients’ knew them is a popular game where a Demigod takes down the Gods of Olympus one by one. Again, I loved the game and I intend absolutely no offence by stating what I have above.

I personally believe that religion is a matter between best left between one and God alone and that there is absolutely no necessity to involve others and complicate lives. One’s beliefs may certainly conflict with another but that should be because of his own, personal, individual beliefs and not beliefs that are thrust upon him. Secularism, in this day and age should be so flexible a concept that one should be able, even in this day, say, worship Zeus without risking social ridicule. Scientology would be perhaps the most pertinent example to prove this point. Man can believe that God is whatever he wants him to be.  The key is not how one visualises God but that he fact that one has faith in God, and God can be whatever his imagination can conjure up so long as it brings him peace, tranquillity and inner happiness. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I don't think we can visualise the powers that actually power our world and this universe. I hope the extremists and the moral police see this line of yours, 'I personally believe that religion is a matter between best left between one and God alone and that there is absolutely no necessity to involve others and complicate lives.'
    P.S: My current favourite God after Ganesh is Kratos :-D. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contrary to popular understanding, God did not make man in his own image. Man made God in his own image. That way, man should not only have the freedom to worship the institutionalized Gods be they of the past or present, but also anything he wishes to institutionalize anew.

    ReplyDelete